Frankfurt Moves! Artist Residency
In the framework of the Residency Programme Frankfurt Moves!, the foundation KfW Stiftung and the Frankfurt LAB invite you to develop artistic productions in the fields of the performing arts and to exchange ideas with other creative artists. The Artists in Residence will be invited to Frankfurt am Main, a German metropolis in the heart of Europe, for a period of four weeks. They will be able to access the professional venues of the Frankfurt LAB and will be provided with dramaturgic and technical support. At the end of the residency, it will be possible to present the results of the work publicly. In 2023, a total of four residencies at the Frankfurt LAB will be made available for the following time period:
15 September to 15 October 2023
The programme is aimed at promising professional international emerging artists working in the performing arts. They must have produced their first professional productions (max. one international co-production) and have been trained in Africa, Asia, Latin America or the MENA region. Particular attention will be paid to those who are living and working in the mentioned continents at the time of the application.
About the Frankfurt LAB
The Frankfurt LAB is a production space for rehearsing and performing experimental works in the fields of the performing arts (dance, theatre, performance) and contemporary music. Artistic responsibility is shared by its partners the Ensemble Modern, the Dresden Frankfurt Dance Company, the Hessische Theaterakademie, the Hochschule für Music and Darstellende Kunst Frankfurt am Main and the Künstlerhaus Mousonturm.
Benefits of the Residency Programme:
• Fee (a total of max. 4.000 Euro gross per residency)
• 4 weeks accommodation in Frankfurt for 1-2 persons
• Travel expenses to Frankfurt (round trip) for 1-2 persons
• Material costs (a total of max. 800 Euro gross per residency)
• Professional documentation
• Professional rehearsal space / use of one of the Frankfurt LAB venues (Hall 1 / Hall 2), including the use of the existing technical equipment
• Workshop presentation with support by an event technician
• Dramaturgic and technical support by staff of the Frankfurt LAB, the partner institutions and/or external experts
Rehearsal Space: both venues of the Frankfurt LAB are at the disposal of the four teams, meaning that two teams share a hall, to which they have unlimited access. Both halls are black boxes (Hall 1: 600 square metres, divisible by a curtain / Hall 2: 300 square metre studio stage), which have a grid and numerus hanging possibilities. The Frankfurt LAB also has a kitchen, dressing-rooms and showers for the residents. Existing technical equipment (sound, light, video, stage) can be used upon request and basic technical supervision on site is available.
The final presentation should provide scope for reflection and exchange and need not be a completely finished production.
Who can apply?
The residency offers excellent conditions for the (further) development and implementation of artistic works, for a maximum two persons per residency. Applications by groups with a larger number of people will have to divide the benefits between the participants.
• Work in the performing arts – interdisciplinary approaches are possible
• Have been trained in Africa, Asia, Latin America or the MENA region (at least one team member)
• Have had first professional experiences (incl. max. one international co-production)
• Name one concrete project idea or specific research project
• Be working on a future-oriented project, not on an already existing production
• Be able to organise a showing of the residency results with the available means / persons
• Be able to spend the complete duration of the residency in Frankfurt am Main
• Be interested in an exchange of ideas with artists and cultural institutions in Frankfurt
• Impart no hostility towards any groups of people in their projects
• Be able to communicate in German or English
The Application Form requests the applicants to provide details about the project, their motivation for the application and video links to recent works. An additional project description can be entered in PDF form (max. 2 pages). There is no application fee.
Please send us the complete application by email ONLY to email@example.com.
Applications must arrive at the latest by 28. February 2023 at 23:59 hrs (cet). Applications arriving after the 28. February 2023 will not be considered. Queries may be made by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
A jury of experts, which consists of colleagues from the Frankfurt LAB, partner institutions, KfW Stiftung and international experts, decides on the awarding of the residencies. The applicants will be informed about the jury’s decision in May 2023.
"Frankfurt Moves!" is an initiative of the foundation KfW Stiftung aimed at promoting artistic exchange and intercultural dialogue. The residency programme in cooperation with the Frankfurt LAB supports international emerging artists in the performing arts.
The Application Form can be downloaded HERE